Sunday, February 12, 2012

Bible Lesson #9: Home Is Where the Heart Is... Biscuits & Gravy & Country Folk

As any New Yorker has their staple of a signature bagel, any farm and country person has their staple of biscuits and gravy (B&G). Its simplicity is completely understated, however its savory aroma and homey decadence is right on target. Having spent a chunk of time this weekend discussing the power of food and its associations and along with the power of childhood memories, this dish is one that inexplicably falls into that category. The warmth and memory which I associate with B&G comes from my grandmother. While slowly her health is deteriorating and she isn't quite the same Grandma which we all grew up with, many memories I have associated with her involve food, with B&G being in the top 5 of that list. (Remind me to get her recipe soon!) I find that whenever I am feeling particularly domestic or homey, with that tinge of home and family sickness, B&G is one sure fire remedy to fill that slight missing void.
My Role Models - Grandma Lois (On the left, in black)
and her sisters

I have not had the opportunity of working with Grandma Lois yet on perfecting some of my cooking and recipe skills that women of their generations inherently seem to posses. However, I have done experimenting of my own to find a recipe for B&Gs that I feel confidently enough competing with those monumental women. So please test my theory and decided for yourself...






Jess' Biscuits & Gravy:
1 lb ground pork sausage
1 Tbsp Butter PLUS 3 Tbsp (total 4)
3 Tbsp flour
2 1/2 C. milk
S & P to taste

Directions:

-Brown ground sausage with 1 Tbsp butter.
-Once browned, add 3 remaining Tbsp butter, melt completely
-Once melted, sprinkle in flour and stir until absorbed. Will make a thick meaty mixture.
-Turn heat on burner up to HIGH
-Pour in milk and stir constantly. (High heat helps gravy thicken)
-Continue to stir on high heat until gravy becomes thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Add Salt & Pepper to taste.
-Serve on delicious biscuits!

This is round 2, just some seconds... no big deal.


-I have yet to find a solid biscuits recipe that I like, so to save on time I use store bought pop canister biscuits, still yummy and buttery.

Healthier Alterations:
-Use Turkey sausage
-Use whole wheat flour
-Use skim milk

*If your gravy fails to thicken, mix a “paste” of 2 Tablespoons flour with 3 Tablespoons of water.  Stir the mixture into your gravy, little bits at a time until the gravy thickens to desired consistency.  Do NOT sprinkle flour directly into the gravy.  That’s how lumpy gravy is made.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment